7 great TED Talks for IT professionals: from password security to big data Posted by Damien Biddulph on Mon 7th Mar 2016
TED Talks have become famous for passing on insightful, inspiring and useful advice and information, often from the brightest and best in their respective fields.
V3 has put together seven great technology talks that may prove illuminating, covering key IT topics from security to big data.
1. What's wrong with your pa$$word? Lorrie Faith Cranor, security researcher at Carnegie Mellon University, studied thousands of passwords, partly so you don't have to and partly to work out the common mistakes made by people and very often supposedly secure websites.
2. How giant websites design for you (and a billion others, too) Margaret Gould Stewart, director of product design at Facebook, explains the painstaking care taken in producing even the tiniest of design changes in the world's most popular websites.
3. This is what happens when you reply to spam email Comedian James Veitch explains what happens when you reply to spam emails, and takes us through the story of his hilarious correspondence with an email scammer. Every business receives countless spam emails and, while we all ignore them, it's fascinating to find out what happens if you hit reply.
4. How we found the worst place to park in New York City - using big data Data scientist Ben Wellington takes the audience through the frustrating but ultimately worthwhile journey he experienced with open government data in New York. He asks how much more value to society this data could be if it was released in a consistent format. A must for anyone working with data, or excited by the potential value locked up in even seemingly trivial information.
5. The single biggest reason why startups succeed Serial entrepreneur Bill Gross has seen and been involved with hundreds of startups in his career. In this talk, he presents his insight into why some fail, and some succeed. The results are surprising. This will help any young company trying to find its feet, or anyone trying to launch a new product or idea in a larger organisation.
6. The internet is on fire F-Secure CEO and security expert Mikko Hyppönen discusses internet privacy and how it affects our lives, often with dangerous consequences.
7. A year offline, what I have learned Paul Miller explains what life was like after he disconnected from all forms of digitaltechnology, from smartphones to social media. Watch this if you've ever wanted to completely unplug from our hyper-connected world.